CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, September 17, 2012

Egg Carton Place Value

I saw this idea I believe on Pinterest. If not, I'm sorry if this is your original idea and I don't have a direct link...can't remember exactly where I got it. Anywho...my students were paired with a partner. I had empty egg cartons (duh...I know) with 12 erasers. I labeled the top of the inside of the egg carton with the place values ones through hundred thousands. Each student took turns shaking their egg carton and adding the amount of erasers in each row. The first row in the carton was for player 1 and the second row for player two.
I know it's hard to tell with this picture, but this group of players had a score of 3 player one (because there are three erasers in the one's place only) and player two 3 hundred thousand, 1 hundred twenty-two (because there are three erasers in the hundred thousand's place, 1 eraser in the hundreds place, two in the tens place, and two in the ones place.
 
 
Each pair of students was required to write their numbers in standard form.

No comments:

Post a Comment